Thursday, November 17, 2011

My In-Laws Are the Best!

(Except for my husband's, as he also got a pretty incredible deal, if I may say so.)

Now you know all those horrible mother-in-law jokes? Or remember all those sad stories about not fitting in with your in-laws? Well, that is not my story. My story is the story of a girl who gets told pretty often how lucky her husband is to have her. My story is the story of a new mom who got sick at the same time as her young baby and her mother-in-law took off longer at work and her father-in-law postponed his return to all the comforts of home to stay and let her fussy baby sleep in their room so that mom could get some sleep. My story is the story of a couple who makes room for us to stay in their house (which is already shared with another child and her spouse) when we're in the area so they can get more time with all of us. This is a couple who definitely has the attitude of adding children by marriage and not losing children.

My awesome in-laws.

And it's not just my husband's awesome-as-can-be parents. While going to college, I was always a mite jealous of all the people around me who had family close at hand. And then, voila!, when Patrick and I were dating, I got to meet his two (later three) aunties who lived nearby. When the discussion of marriage came up, I quipped, "Heck, I'd marry you just for your aunts." They made me feel welcomed from the very beginning when I joined them at monthly family dinners. These women listened to my academic goals and babysat our son while we went to the temple. They taught me many dishes to prepare when I was completely inept.These women had some really tough things happen during the time we were in Utah and they still made room for us and let us be part of their lives. By doing that, they helped us learn an awful lot about families and children and parenting and love. They supported us through graduations and graduate school applications and baby blessings and many, many holidays. I felt as much a part of the family as if I'd been born in it.
Our host-auntie and her twin.
Two local aunts and one visiting aunt.

But, wait, it doesn't stop there. That's part of Patrick's (very large) paternal side. The side he grew up knowing best was his maternal extended family. In this family, every family on Patrick's maternal side is doubled up (and one tripled up) in their houses, and this is just one example of their generosity. Every holiday we get physically showered in presents. This is a bit overwhelming for me, but how can I complain? Now I know that people don't have to send presents to say they love you (good thing because this isn't our best way of showing love). And even when people send presents it's not necessarily out of love. But in this family, the presents are definitely a manifestation of love. The presents are only the beginning. They are also a time-spending family who makes sure to see us when we're in town. And as every spouse and every child has come into the family (and as they wait for more to come), it's clear that this family has an abundance of love to give. I believe that every fiance and then spouse has felt welcomed with open arms.

This is one maternal auntie. The other would never, ever let me take a picture of her again if I posted the one picture I have. But they are both awesome.

I've heard stories galore of women whose fiance's were told not to marry them by nervous (and as the women felt, meddling and judgmental) soon-to-be mothers-in-law. I've heard stories of women who felt their mothers-in-law only liked them when they gave them grandchildren. I have heard stories of women who felt their mothers-in-law broke up the family after the marriage by trying to keep sons tied to their family of origin. But, as you can see, that's not my story. My story is filled with a loving mother- and father-in-law and incredible extended family.

1 comment:

Titensor Family said...

Keegan,
This is a great post! I also think your mother in law is awesome. She has always been such a sweetheart. She taught me in young women and I still remember her great example and lessons.