Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I'm Thankful for Good Girls


(A few of the good girls in our lives, especially ones Patrick grew up with.
I chose this one because it was one of the few I could find with Alysha. What's up with that? Clearly, we need to get together!)

Recently, Patrick and I were talking about all the things that can go wrong in life-- all the points of decision, where good choices or luck kick-in in your favor. For instance, going on a mission for the LDS church for him, getting married, finishing school, going to graduate school. But even before all those major points of decision, there were many influences for good that I can reflect on that led him/me to those major points of decision. Growing up, Patrick and I both had some awesome friends-- friends that will be lifelong friends, friends that we can count on in need, and friends that we can reunite with and enjoy catching up with even after years.

But in particular, I have been feeling grateful for the girls he knew in his youth who influenced him for good. I have heard stories of him gathering around a piano on Sunday at the home of a friend and singing hymns with two girls. Now, my friends, it isn't likely that my husband would have done that with his male friends, but what an influence for good! What a blessing that there were people like that in his life.

The way Patrick and I met was through our mutual friend, who was my roommate in college for two years. When we were dating, Michelle would tell me that she had "trained" Patrick that he better open doors for girls. She thought of Patrick as a brother in a lot of ways, and felt she could tell him what to do, and Patrick respected her so he honored her good guidance (although at other times he calls her a hippy, but he's like that).


(Michelle with her little girl.)

Maybe this sticks in my mind because I have two little boys now, and I hope that the girls they know as teenagers will help them to make good choices and spend their time doing positive things. Also, I hope that I was that kind of girl for other women's husbands, that when my name comes up in conversation, women can say, "Gosh, I'm glad you two were friends." Because I'm glad that those amazing girls (now amazing women) were part of my husband's life.
(Another mutual friend, Cat, who I knew from Girls' Camp.)

(Cami with her husband at our wedding.)

(Aimee at her wedding. Yes, Patrick started a water fight with the bride. She is clearly an awesome good sport.)

I'm sure there are others that I don't know about or don't have pictures of, but Michelle, Cat, Cami, Aimee, and Alysha are a few I know have done him good, and I'm so glad they've been a part of our lives!

1 comment:

Cami and Juan said...

You're so sweet Keegan. You guys are lifelong friends and we appreciate you.