Friday, October 30, 2009

Recent Milestones

My mom is a sign language interpreter, so she thinks its especially cool that Caleb is picking up sign language. So this post is for her. Behold! Two more demonstrations of his increasing vocabulary. (Really, you would probably prefer these without sound again.)


Book



Baby

Also, I was making a list of the vocabulary I know he has already and here are the things that came to mind, with an effort at making them slightly chronological as far as when he began to communicate these words:

(Disclaimer: I use the terms "signed" and "spoken" loosely for our 14-month-old. Most of these signs aren't done "right" and most of the words aren't spoken "right." They are baby signs and baby words. So when I say that he says or signs these things, I mean that I usually understand what he is communicating with these words, but not necessarily that other native English speakers or native signers would.)

mama (signed/spoken)
dada (signed/spoken)
more (signed)
eat (signed)
ball (signed/spoken)
play (signed)
book (signed/spoken)
baby (signed)
Jesus (signed/spoken)
girl (signed)
again (signed)
flower (signed)
fruit (signed)

The body parts he recognizes and will usually touch when I ask him to are his head, toes, nose, ears, and belly. Sometimes his tongue or teeth. He's recently learned possession a little because he will often touch Mama's ears or nose and Daddy's ears or nose if we ask him to as well.

The animals he tries to make sounds for are cats, pigs, cows, horses, sheep, and chickens.

4 comments:

MommaMcCarthy said...

wow! he's got mad skilz :)

The Frog reliably says the same thing for ball, bug ("buh" with pointing) and light, lid, and lion ("luh") and occasionally we get duck. My favorite is that he's always asking questions (i.e. he speaks gibberish and ends with his "sentence" raised in pitch). He also points to noses, but never his own.

I need to take more sleeping pictures. I'm just so used to being scared of waking him up, but i probably have no need to be now that he's a good little sleeper.

why didn't i just blog about this instead of clogging your comments?

Kathleen said...

recent milestones: leaking pee on kathleen at church... JUST KIDDING! i am not mad at all, don't freak out, i promise i was seriously joking around. but i do think a video of GO needs to be on this blog, it is my favorite.

Julaine said...

What a smart little kid! I love that he LOVES books so much and wants to read. Is that something you done with him since he was a baby? I try reading to addison but she either wants to throw the book on the ground or eat it!

Keegan said...

Dear Libby, clog away. :)

Dear Kathleen, Don't hate.

Dear Julaine, I read to Caleb out of whatever book I was reading when he was even a newborn. I figured that was a way to share more language with him and involve him in my activities, which was difficult to do when he was very small. And I did read children's books to him when he was very small too. He doesn't always sit all the way through them either. I went to a library class on emergent literacy (with little children) and they emphasized just exposing them even to how books work with turning pages and things like that. Having books around and reading yourself were also things they said were important. If your local library has a story time that could be another option. Anyway, those are some of my ideas, but hey I'm definitely no expert. :)