Sunday, October 11, 2009

It's Official

#1. Our Apartment is More Guest-Friendly

For those of you who have come to our place and thought what a stupid set-up we had (don't worry, I've thought the same thing), you can now come over and enjoy a more spacious and pleasant atmosphere. I don't know if this is the final result because it's not amazing, but it is a big improvement. In other words, whoever is reading this should come visit us and enjoy it with us . . . and really just come hang out with me and Caleb.

Furthermore, I would like to brag that I made all the changes myself. After a get-together where I watched our furniture arrangement divide people up so that it was difficult to visit, I woke up the next morning and started moving things, including a bookcase, couch, toy chest, tacky "coffee table" (really just a plastic bin with blankets stored inside and one blanket covering the top), and an extra chair from Caleb's room. Basically, I am a female version of Hercules. And it was worth it. Voila! A new and improved living room. (I do sincerely apologize that there are no pictures, but I guess that just means you'll have to come over and see it for yourself.)

#2. I am Not The Only Awkward Person in the World

Really, I seriously stress about all of the awkward things I do. Every night, Patrick has to listen to all the stupid things I said that I shouldn't have said or that came out wrong and seemed to imply things that I don't actually believe. Poor man. When I get into this state of mind, I start to notice all the really stupid things I've said and then I start to feel really socially awkward and then I start to act even more awkward until I really, truly am an awkward person. It's a vicious cycle. Patrick assures me that no one else thinks what I think they think I said, or even if they do they aren't thinking about it any more. The most recent argument he's made to settle down my over-stressed brain was that everyone is awkward and says stupid things. Awkwardness is human. Two awkward situations came up very soon after my conversation with him, and I realized, he's right: Awkwardness happens. It's life. Get over it. Happily, I have not been as stressed since then, and happily for him he hasn't had to listen to the boring list of dumb things I said. That's not to say that I won't ever stress about these things anymore, but it is somewhat reassuring to realize I'm not alone.

#3. One of the Coolest People in the World is Coming to Visit Me

I've been thinking a lot about this visitor and what an awesome person she is and I just wanted to share it with my long list of faithful fans. This woman came into town for my birth, she flew me to San Francisco to spend a week with her early in high school, she spent three weeks with me in Turkey when my grandfather invited me to travel with the two of them, she hiked the Grand Canyon with us and my parents when we were engaged, she was one of five of my extended family members who came into town for my wedding (all of whom were valued because they made the effort to celebrate with us even though they couldn't actually attend the wedding), she came to town for my college graduation, and now she's coming to visit us here for a few days even though it's all the way across the country. Besides that, she was always someone my mom held up to me as a role model when I was a kid because she was very successful and did adventurous things and lived in exotic places like Hong Kong, Thailand, France, and Australia. Even when she lived far away from us (as in all the way across the world) and had a lot going on with work, she always made my brothers and I feel like she cared about us. Ah hem, this person is my fantastic and wonderful Aunt Jennifer. In sum, I wish everybody could have such cool people in their lives as I have in mine.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

um, number 2 is the story of my life. seriously. kyle's hair has already started turning grey, and it is ALL. MY. FAULT.

Kathleen said...

p.s. PICTURES??????

Cami and Juan said...

You were so cryptic and left us in suspense. Tell us some examples of your funny awkwardness! Tell us the person who's coming to visit!

Keegan said...

Dear Cami,

You will have to remain in suspense about #2 for now-- most examples I can think of are too difficult to explain in a post and my posts are already too long and wordy anyway. But as for my visitor-- it is my aunt! She's pretty much amazing.