Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Four Generations Together

For the first time in his life, Caleb got to be part of a four generation get-together. To date the oldest generation he's met has been his grandparents, but this week my maternal grandparents (his great-grandparents) came to town overlapping a visit from my mom. My mom hadn't seen Caleb since his birth, which she got to witness. As you can imagine, all this familying (yes, I made up that word. I'm an English language major; it ought to be good for something) made for lots of fun. Unfortunately, the fun was somewhat dampened by Caleb experiencing another bout of sickness-- what's this about breastfeeding keeping kids healthier? That and the cold weather made for some limitation in activity, but everyone was wonderful about it and it didn't make a big difference in family bonding.

This isn't related to the family visiting, but I thought I'd let new parents know, don't bother buying fancy toys because whatever you have they will love. I am learning to save boxes and mint containers and water bottles.

Caleb "playing ball." Actually, while sitting at the kitchen table the grandmas and Dad did play ball with Caleb. I don't know if he knew what was going on, but it was still pretty cool.

Grandma feeding Caleb carrots (I think).

Mom feeding Caleb. It's important for the one feeding to make a face while doing the feeding. "Ah . . . ah . . . open up." Other moms totally know what I'm talking about.

"Hello, Grandma. Weren't you here about seven months ago when I was born? You look familiar."

Passing mutual inspection. :)

Gnawing on orange and cucumber was a fun way to feel grown up. The cucumber was actually amazingly popular.

"Hi, Mom. Um, this is a fun toy, but I really don't know what to do with it."

"Oh, I see."

Chilling and visiting.

A great pianist at the ripe old age of 6 1/2 months.

Playing on the floor.

Grandma is singing "Little Brown Jug," a song her father sang to little kids while bouncing them on his leg. She says those are the songs of grandpas, while grandmas sing "Jesus Loves Me."
Grandpa holding his great-grandson. Caleb is actually the second and the third great-grandchild.

A nice enough day for grilling out.

. . . and napping.

Rocking away.

And finally, in unrelated news, I found the word "distance." Not all that impressive, you say? You're right. Even with the longest word on this turn I got the fewest points. But still -- "distance" -- that's pretty cool.

3 comments:

Cami and Juan said...

4 generations! He is getting so big, it's fun to see. I'm glad your mom had a chance to come visit.

MommaMcCarthy said...

Wow, distance?! I am soooo torn between impressed and jealous.

Cucumber eh? I'll have to try it! The Frog definitely prefers anything he can feed himself...

Shauna said...

Oh, I want to play Boggle now! Caleb is such a good looking boy!