Saturday, February 7, 2009

Up Early in the Morning

It's 4:54 am and Caleb woke up around 4:00. In retrospect, I realize I should have given him a pacifier and gone back to sleep. Instead, I fed him and put him back to bed. Now I'm at the computer listening to him talk to himself through the monitor. He seems like he's falling back to sleep, but then he wakes himself up and starts the whole process of mumbling himself back to sleep again. The last month has thrown me off because he's woken up in the middle of the night (sometimes several times) often and it took me a while to realize I didn't have to feed him every time. Even now, it's hard for me to judge when I should feed him and when he'll go back to sleep with just a pacifier. Most of the time it's the latter, but four months of having to do midnight feedings threw off my judgment so I often revert to the former.

Right now Patrick's parents are in town for two weeks. We keep saying that Caleb is getting spoiled. And there will probably be some time of trying to readjust him after they leave. As it is, Grandma holds him to put him to sleep for naps most of the time, so he gets lots of cuddling before naps and he wakes up when he gets set down a good deal of the time. There are also a lot of people around to give him attention all day, as well.

Having said that, though, I'm really getting more spoiled than he is. We have live-in babysitters so we went on a date without arranging for a babysitter -- just ask Grandma and Grandpa. We also both went out and shoveled snow together. Most of the time that's even a little tricky because one of us has Caleb. I can take a shower in the morning without feeling pressured to hurry out if Caleb gets fussy as well. I also got to go ice skating with the young women, and I've taken a number of naps, and I've recuperated after feeling sick one day, and I've taken time to write in my journal. I admit, I'm not even trying to not get spoiled. I'm enjoying it while it lasts. We'll both just readjust after they leave next week and we will both just be a little better for the two weeks of change.

I've reinserted the pacifier about three times and it seems that our sweet boy has gone back to sleep for awhile. That means I'm off to sleep as well.

2 comments:

MommaMcCarthy said...

wow! you're quite the multi-tasker. i don't think it would ever occur to me to blog while putting the kiddo back to sleep at 4 am.

but hey, a spare moment is a spare moment!

Keegan said...

Is that when you normally play games on your phone? I don't have an iPhone. :)