Friday, February 13, 2009

Beware the Plague

Patrick's parents arrived on Saturday, January 31, 2009, welcomed by the smells of homemade pizza dough and yummy toppings, which we were in the midst of preparing for dinner. Patrick convinced them to come although, the timing wasn't exactly ideal for them in some ways, and we were pleased and grateful that his powers of persuasion were so, um, powerful. The first week was a delightful time, during which Patrick and I used a gift card to Outback and live-in babysitters so that we could go out on an exclusive date, no babies allowed. (In the early stages of Caleb's life he was quite easy to take out, but now he's a bit of a handful, and Mom often doesn't get to enjoy meals as much as she would like.) We also played games galore-- Rook in particular, as well as Backgammon, Sorry, Clue, and others. I also got to go participate in an excellent Young Women's activity-- ice skating at the Peaks Ice Arena. Ah, heaven. I love ice skating, thanks to my dad. I'd have to love ice skating. After all, my parents met at an ice arena. And besides, it's the only activity in the world where I attain some measure of grace.

On Saturday, while at the Young Women's basketball game, Caleb started being unusually fussy. I found a room, fed him, and took him home. From there, he developed stuffy nose and eventually sore throat, and cough. Poor kid is still suffering. And, generous and loving as he is, he's shared it with the rest of the family. Patrick and I are both fighting it too. As it turns out that it's a virus, we are all just stuck living with it until it passes. Happily, Mom and Dad extended their stay to take care of us. This means more sleep for a weary mama, namely me.

This has been quite the learning experience for me. I have learned:

1. that it is sweet to be needed. Sometimes Caleb would only settle down when I held him when he was first sick.

2. that I can be proud of myself because I do quite a bit when I'm feeling well.

3. that I have limits and can't do as much when I'm sick.

4. that there are definitely times to accept help.

5. that babies aren't supposed to get baby cold medicine until they are at least 6 months and for some of types not until they are about 4 years old.

6. that nursing moms aren't supposed to take cold medicine because it can dry up the milk supply. Plain old Tylenol. That is all.

7. that nursing is wonderful for passing along antibodies to babies, but it saps energy from the mom and may prolong her illness.

8. that there are definite benefits to having family near enough to help. We probably won't be in Wisconsin for law school, but afterwards we may settle there. We have always wanted to be fairly close to our families and in times of need I'm realizing that it's even more wonderful.

9. that we are very loved. Patrick's mom has taken great care of Caleb while I've been under the weather. My mom offered to come out and help as well, even though she had already bought cheap tickets for the end of March. We turned her down (which worked out fine since Patrick's parents could stay longer), but sure appreciated that she was willing to do that for us.

10. that having several kids and a husband who's working full-time, and being sick myself will be something I will dread while raising a family.

11. that babies are more adaptable than I realized. Caleb's sleeping arrangements have been changed several times based on temperature and nighttime caretaker, and he hasn't been any the worse for it.

12. that I'm somewhat creative when my mind is addled by germs.

13. that I would have made a lousy pioneer. All I want to do most of the time is sleep, sleep, sleep.

2 comments:

Tara said...

I hope you start feeling better. And just so you know if you settle somewhere else (like where we are) we will be your family too! It was so fun having you guys stop by and visit. Feel better.

MommaMcCarthy said...

:( sorry you're not feeling well. The Frog got something very minor, but only a stuffy/runny nose.

So, did Patrick change his mind about where to go to law school? Might you stay in the area? ;D