Thursday, September 11, 2008

Welcome Baby Taylor

I had been avoiding writing because I was getting anxious about the baby coming and because there wasn't too much to say until he arrived, at least that's how I felt. However, there have been things happening. On Thursday of last week my mom came into town. On the same day, we had a doctor's appointment and were informed that we should be prepared for a C-Section unless my body progressed more. I really didn't want a C-Section, so once my mom arrived we worked hard to encourage the baby to come out on his own. From spicy buffalo wings at Pizza Hut to miles and miles of walking, we tried everything we'd ever heard of that might work. And perhaps it did.

On September 10, we had another doctor's appointment. The doctor examined me and found that I had progressed and the nurse determined that I had high blood pressure. Based on these two points, Dr. Jones said I should go over to the hospital and he would break my water and I would be induced with Pitocin. My mom has a plane ticket back to Wisconsin for Saturday and several days of work (freelance sign language interpreting) lined up for next week. She had determined that she would stay if I went past that point, but obviously that gets complicated and expensive, so this change of plans was agreeable to us all. It was a little bewildering, though. Going into the hospital, Patrick and I both still hadn't registered that we were going to be parents, that we were having a baby. But we were!

The whole process started around 3:30 or so and the baby was born at 11:47 pm of the same day, so it wasn't a very long labor. The worst pain was when the contractions had picked up and I hadn't gotten the epidural yet. I asked for the epidural fairly early, and felt like a baby for it, but the epidural didn't actually come until an hour later because I needed some blood tests before the anesthesiologist would give me the epidural. So by the time it came I was in a lot of discomfort. Interestingly enough, within ten minutes of getting the epidural, I couldn't remember the previous pain. I imagine this explains how some people have five or six kids by natural birth: God wipes out the memory of the pain. I remember that I was in pain, but I can't actually remember the pain itself. Even though that is true, I am so grateful for the epidural. I also had pain at the end when I was pushing. The worst moment was when the nurses told me not to push because they had to go rouse my doctor. It was just at the point when I really wanted to push. Within minutes after the doctor arrived, the baby was born.

I'm sleepy now and my mom showed up so the sum is of this all is:

Birthday: September 10
Time: 11:47
Weight: 8 lbs 2 oz
Height: 20 inches

And we're very happy and grateful that he's come, and we both think he's amazingly cute.

10 comments:

Paul and Esther Duhacek said...

Cograts, Keegan & Patrick!!! So what's the final name of the little one? - Luv, Paul & Esther

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Yay! Congratulations on your new arrival! And welcome to the club of sleeplessness and basic space-cadetedness! It's so fun though and having a baby will change EVERYTHING! You gotta pick a name for the little guy!

Holly said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! We're so happy for you, and we can't wait to see pictures! I'm so glad it worked out and you didn't have to have a C-Section. Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

WOO-HOO!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! We're soooooo excited to meet him!

amanda said...

Congrats!!! We are so happy for you! Congrats, Congrats, Congrats!!!

Tiffany said...

Yay! Congratulations! That is so exciting! Crazy that you are a mom!!!! Love it!

Kyle and Megan said...

Congratulations Keegan! I can't believe all of us in the old 139 ward Primary Presidency are moms now! It sounds like you did great, and I'm glad Caleb is darling and healthy.

Tara said...

We are so excited for you!! As soon as we are sickness free we definitely want to come see your cute little baby!

Josh said...

Congratulations! We're so excited for you!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, I know I've already posted but I'm passing a message along from my mom...she wants to know where the pictures are. She says she needs to see pictures of him...I showed her the ones on Facebook, but apparently she needs more...actually we all do :)