Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Baby in the House: 1/3 Chaos, 2/3 Bliss

Caleb will be two weeks old today (right around midnight). Already, our little man is changing and behaving differently, which makes it seem as though the time has gone SO fast! When I've taken him out, people look at him and say, "Oh, he's so small. Just a newborn. How cute!" And I think, "What do you know! I mean, he is already [insert number of days old here]! He's already exceeded his birth weight, and developmentally we see bits of progress besides measurable growth. The time is going so fast!"

During the duration of his life, he has had grandparents nearby the entire time except for the afternoon of the first Saturday of his life. This has given me some nap time (though I find it difficult to nap for longer than an hour) as well as time to keep up (somewhat) on the apartment, and it has given him an excessive amount of attention. Grandma and Grandpa Gee were just here for the weekend for his blessing (though Grandma was also here for the birth and two and a half days after) and Grandma and Grandpa Taylor will be here for almost two weeks when they leave on Friday morning. While all the support has been a blessing, it will be nice to figure out our new routine and get settled into a "regular" schedule (or as regular as possible with an unpredictable baby) once it's just me, Patrick, and Caleb.

The last couple of days have been somewhat difficult with Caleb because he has taken to screaming (red-in-the-face angry yelling) for no obvious reason. Up until that point, it seemed that any time he fussed there was a logical reason: messy diaper, hungry, needs to be burped, or cold. Now, life has become more complicated. We think he generally has a lot of gas (so I'm going to begin keeping track of what I eat) and maybe has an upset stomach a lot of the time. Before when he was upset, it wasn't so upsetting to me, but I do find myself getting a little frustrated now when he is impossible to calm down. However, I guess dealing with that is just one of those things new parents have to learn. We definitely feel blessed with this sweet little baby, screaming or no.

I have had several requests for pictures so I will just proceed to post a few for your viewing pleasure:

Okay, just kidding. For some reason, Blogger is being stupid. Check back later or, for those of you who can, see Facebook and I will try to put more pictures there.

2 comments:

Cami and Juan said...

OOoh I am so excited to see little Caleb. I can't imagine everything you need to do as parents, but I bet you and Patrick are doing it all so well.

Tara said...

I am so close to being done with my cold and am so excited to meet little Caleb!