Thursday, March 20, 2008

Feeling Grateful

Lately, I have been feeling extremely grateful when I think of everything going on in our lives. Even right now, things are crazy and busy with school, work, and other demands on our time, but there's all sorts of little blessings that I've seen in my life that have made these things less stressful than they might have been. For instance, I have realized lately what a great man I married. I mean, I've always thought so (obviously, or I wouldn't have married him), but I've really thought so when the pressure was on first to finish my thesis for honors and then to organize an activity for my major's social organization (of which I'm an officer). While Patrick and I are both leaders and overachievers, we tend to be so in different spheres so these two things are not ones Patrick would have any involvement with on his own, but here he is stepping up and supporting me . . . and helping me way more than just a little.

Then, yesterday, we went to the doctor's office and we heard the baby's heartbeat and every time (two so far) it's a sort of miracle and shock: "Um, yeah, so we're going to be parents, apparently." And it's amazing that there's a person growing inside of me that's going to have our genes (my frizzy hair, for one, as Patrick pointed out this morning, and hopefully our more endearing characteristics like a sense of humor, strong spiritual character, and a good work ethic). And it's a little intimidating of course, but mostly right now it's exciting.

And then besides those big blessings, there's all these other great things we have to look forward to soon.

April:
-possibly attending my major's banquet
-the ultrasound and learning the baby's sex
-my parents and my aunt Jennifer coming
-the honors luncheon
-the commencement and convocation ceremonies
-Patrick getting off of work with his option days while my parents are here

May:
-no more school and homework until I decide to go to graduate school someday
-joining my ward's bookclub (because I won't feel like it's one more demand on my time, but something fun and enriching to do)
-going to Wisconsin for an entire week
-being there for Angie's wedding
-seeing all the family, particularly the latest editions for the first time (Sandy's twins)
-looking ahead to the future a little (possibly checking out the closest UPS and looking at Marquette)
-talking to our parents in person, not just over the phone- ah heaven
-celebrating our second anniversary
-celebrating Patrick's birthday

June:
-Well, it's summer, so that's nice. Okay, I don't think we have anything special planned for June.

July:
-our family reunion in Flagstaff with family I've never even met (or at least that I don't remember), and Patrick's never even heard of

August:
-Again, still summer.

September:
-Our baby will arrive! Perhaps in August, but certainly in September if not before.
-And Patrick will get off work for it
-And my mom will be here
-And Patrick's family and my dad will come
-And we'll have the baby blessing
-And I'll start learning this whole "Mom-thing"

So, life is pretty exciting in the future, and I just wanted to share how much we have to look forward to in the next couple months. Now, back to homework!

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

You are PREGGERS?!?!? Congrats!!! I love that story! So exciting! Who is your doctor?

Keegan said...

Hey, yeah, I am pregnant-- 16 weeks along. Our doctor is named Ryan Jones. He's up in American Fork. Somebody at Patrick's work recommended him and we like him so far. Why do you ask? Are you pregnant?!?

Tiffany said...

Well... long story short... I was. Haha. But I misscarried about 2 months ago. I was actually due one week before you! Sept. 1. Crazy huh! But I went to the Provo OB/GYN... and long story short agian... I hated them. I went in for my checkup after my miscarriage, (and I had told them and I came in right after the miscarriage) and they totally forgot and didn't put anything in the file or anything. SO for future references, I am looking into other doctors. Haha. so we are still trying! Hopefully soon!

Keegan said...

I'm sorry to hear about that. I can imagine that would be realy hard. I really like our doctor so far. He's been really respectful and upbeat. I haven't had any really difficult questions for him yet, but he's very personable as well as professional.

It's so nice to find out about good doctors before you need them. I remember when I got pregnant I didn't want to tell everyone in the ward that I was pregnanty yet but I wanted recommendations for a doctor. I wished there was some list compiled of good and bad doctors, but I'd have had to ask around and I wasn't ready to do that.

So, Patrick asked people at work for suggestions because I didn't know them so I didn't care if they knew. A woman in our ward is a nurse at the Orem hospital and she said that patients in Provo don't get really personal treatment (because there are so many babies born there) so I asked him to find somebody outside of Provo. I think two people recommended this doctor. He's at Legacy OB/GYN in American Fork. His number is 855-2980. I've only met with him twice but we both like him.

He has a nurse (who we've seen twice) who is really motherly, and calls me "hon" and stuff and the way she does it is a little much, but she's nice so it's okay.

Anyway, that's what I've got so far. I know Michelle didn't like her doctors (she went through more than one), so I avoided them. Hopefully, everything goes great wtih this doctor, though. I'd love to hear when you are pregnant again whenever you're ready to tell. Good luck!