Sunday, September 25, 2011

Relief Sa-What?

It's "Relief Society." Come on, now. Haven't heard of it? How can that be? It has over 6 million members in over 170 countries and territories. (Thank you, Wikipedia, for those statistics.) It is the largest and oldest organization for women in the world. It includes all women of the church eighteen-years-old and older. It's motto is "Charity never faileth."

Now the fact of the matter is, I wasn't all that impressed with Relief Society when I was younger. I mean, Primary (for the children) is full of fun music and active lessons, and Young Women's (for teenage girls) was full of awesome activities and girl bonding. Relief Society was old woman stuff. I've had my moments when I've stood up in defense of Relief Society, as when a boy I had a crush on stated (jokingly), "Well, it keeps the women busy." The condescension and disrespect just about ended all pining from then on . . . but in the end teenage infatuation prevailed over gender pride for a few more years. And perhaps the reason it didn't bother me more was that, secretly, in my heart I thought perhaps he was right. Keeping the women busy while the men did the important stuff.

I am pleased to say that over the years, I have gotten a greater vision of Relief Society, and last night completely shattered any lasting illusions about the inconsequential nature of Relief Society. Relief Society is a worldwide organization with the purpose of strengthening and uplifting individuals in all areas of their lives, strengthening families, and helping those in need. And Relief Society ain't for sissies (well, actually, it's for everyone, so if you're a sissy, you're not excluded, but you don't have to be a sissy to participate). When I reflect on the women I know who have been Relief Society incarnate to me, they are powerful women: Sister Baird (my friend's mom), Sister Allred (even though she serves in Primary), Sister Harmon (gentle, but inwardly powerful). There are many more, of course, but these are examples. And I have friends who are active members of Relief Society who are in many different places in their lives, some single, some married but childless, some in school, some working, some parenting full-time.

And the society itself? What do we do exactly? Well, Relief Society sisters organize things like book clubs or mothers' groups. But they are also there when babies are born. They are there for moves. They are there for operations and even death. They are there for hurricanes and tornadoes. They are there to educate and teach both secular and spiritual concepts. And I'll be blunt enough and "religious" enough to say, a Sunday with Relief Society women is an immersion into the Holy Ghost even with a room full of imperfect, very different women.

In short, this is actually, despite all my quiet childhood disdain, one of the coolest organizations in the world.

1 comment:

lrwardell said...

I love the way you write...I couldn't have said it better myself. I'll say "AMEN" to that. You, my dear sister, are one of those amazing ones.