Saturday, August 23, 2008

Insert Jeopardy Song Here

So, the baby missed his "birthday." And, in fact, when we went to the doctor on Wednesday, it seems to me that I haven't progressed much from what he said. However, I did wonder if I had to have fake contractions before the real ones start (because they keep asking me if I'm having them when I go in for appointments) and he assured me that it's not necessary. In that way, he was very encouraging and said that I could go into labor anytime. However, I didn't get the impression that it's imminent . . . which I really hoped it would be. In fact, we even joked that it would be so convenient for the doctor and his patients if I just went into labor on Wednesday and was in active labor by the time we reached the hospital. Then the doctor could just come over to the hospital and deliver and it would hardly even mess up his schedule. Not surprisingly, that didn't happen.

This whole situation reminds me of when I was a little kid. I would ask my dad what he blessed me with in my baby blessing, and he would say, "Oh, I blessed you with everything!" I would smile and nod and probably look cocky and he would add (or maybe I would say smugly), "Except humility." But I think we missed patience in there, too. I am still really working on that. I keep pretending that I'm patient and thinking I will be fine if he's a couple days late, but it's a lie. It's a nice lie because I really want to be patient and longsuffering, but it's still definitely a lie.

I have even stopped praying that the baby will come after Patrick gets better. We can't really figure out what's wrong with him anyway. He started off taking allergy medicine and that helped for a day or so, but then it didn't seem to be doing anything. At that point, we decided it was a cold, so he started taking generic NyQuil and DayQuil and that helped for a day or so, but then it stopped doing much. So now he just kind of guesses in the morning when he decides to take anything at all, which he doesn't always do since he can't figure out what works. I have been very good about getting out a multivitamin and a vitamin C pill for him to take everyday, but to no avail. As there doesn't seem to be an obvious end in sight, and Patrick starts school next week Tuesday (Sept. 2), we have dropped that little caveat from our requests. Considering all the other discomfort involved, I'm sure we can handle a bit of sneezing and sniffling, although of course we'd be grateful to get that straightened out before school starts, too. Mostly, we think and pray, though, just let this munchkin come!

5 comments:

Shauna said...

I hope your baby comes soon, too! And then I hope you invite Josh and me to come and hold him when you're ready. :) And I hope Patrich feels better, because it's the pits to be sick!

Paul and Esther Duhacek said...

Shucks! Your baby missed the 11th! It would have been a good birthday! :) heh heh, its ok. Anyway, my dad always said, "patience, is a virtue" or atleast I use to say that alot to myself! It will happen anyday now! The baby will be ready when its ready! Think of it as it needs further instructions to deal with the two of you as parents! Which you will be great ones! Keep updating us! We're interested!

Holly said...

Good luck! We're rooting for you to have him soon! (And hopefully we'll join you not soon after!) :)

Cami and Juan said...

Patrick needs to get better! I'm excited to meet your little baby. I hope it's not too much to ask to put us on the calling list. We'd love to come to the hospital to visit!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I have Michelle keep me updated on your progress since we live soooooooo far away! We can't wait to meet him!!! Hope Pat gets better soon!!