Tuesday, April 29, 2008

This Delightful Weekend

So, this weekend I graduated from BYU with a degree in English language (think of it as linguistics with an English emphasis) and a minor in editing. I also achieved honors through the honors program by completing honors classes; completing the Great Works requirements by watching certain movies, reading certain books, attending certain plays, viewing different art exhibits, and attending certain music concerts; completing the honors portfolio by writing about these experiences and my overall educational experience; maintaining a certain GPA; and completing an honors thesis. I never really doubted that I would graduate from college, although graduating with honors was a little questionable at times; that means that the really most wonderful thing about this weekend was having family in town. And we really had a lot of fun.




Above is me at the honors luncheon, crossing the stage and shaking hands with Dr. Madison Sowell, the director of the Honors Program. I also received a fancy medal that everyone "oohed" and "awed" over, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it now. Dr. Sowell had put the medal around my neck just before this picture and he whispered, "missed the glasses" because he'd managed not to get it hooked on my glasses, but I thought he'd said "missed the classes" and for a second I was pretty confused. Oh well!


Above is my massive pile of theses, compiling these at the last minute turned out to be an ordeal (which you can read about in a previous entry). They looked a lot bigger individually before they were bound.

Here is my thesis advisor: Mel Thorne. He heads the editing program at BYU. (This picture also gives you a glimpse of my growing belly.)


Here are the members of my supporting cast who attended the honors luncheon: Aunt Pattie, Patrick, Dad, and Mom. Poor Dad is cut off by me. But they all look good anyway. Below is Pattie again as well as Aunt Jennifer who came into town to watch l'il ol' me traipse across that stage. She was also in town when I was born 22 years ago, so she's been around for some pretty important events in my life.


You can see me in my cap and gown here. I forgot clips to hold the cap on, I couldn't figure out how to attach the stupid collar and when it was attached my hair got stuck on it, and my zipper malfunctioned on the second day. What a hassle! Anyway, below is me and Patrick. I have to post this because I can only get him to be in pictures with a pleasant smile on his face when there are big events going on, so it could be awhile before we get another one like this.



The picture below requires a definite explanation. So I got a video camera for a graduation present from my parents, partially to capture our cute little rugrat when he's born. Patrick experimented with it quite a lot. Here we are at dinner at the Marriott Jennifer was staying at and Patrick is recording the inside of his mouth while looking at the viewfinder; he's trying to see if his wisdom teeth are growing in. Very classy!


Below is my friend Christine. I have known her since she moved in when I was in eighth grade (I think that's right). She is graduating and moving out of the state to go work for an up-and-coming company who sought her out because she's brilliant and great. I'll miss her, but I'm glad we got to celebrate our big day together-- lucky for me she sped along and got out a year early.

These are my parents. I like this picture because this is how they look when they're happy-- they're very genuine smiles; probably, Patrick said something funny to help encourage them to be so natural. Anyway, I'm so grateful they came out and spent the weekend with us.

Finally, me and Patrick again. He's holding my arms back so you can see my belly. So, yeah, apparently there's a baby in there. Pretty crazy!

There's more to say about everything that happened this weekend, but I thought the pictures would be a nice touch and I don't want to bore you with the details right now . . . we'll save that for later.

2 comments:

Cami and Juan said...

You two are so perfect together and so fun! I love the pictures of you and your growing belly!!! I'm so glad it's a boy, I love it. Congratulations on graduating with honors. Very prestigious.

BMidd said...

hey keegan!!! so i just saw the link to your blog on your facebook page, and thought i'd check it out. you are just the cutest!! and although i hated people telling me how cute my belly was, i'm going to tell you how cute yours is! it's adorable!!! and, just so you can feel better about it growing, you're past the point of "is she pregnant? or is she just getting fat...?" there's no way that's fat!! it's all baby!! so anyway, congratualtions, you're going to be an awesome mom. i'm super excited for you two!!!