Monday, November 16, 2009

A Story of Success

Today was an exceptionally great day. I washed laundry, put away the clean dishes, made a call about insurance, made a doctor's appointment for the munchkin, went to the grocery store, went to Target, went to the library and played with Caleb inside and out, watched the kiddo walk more than he ever has before, made the most successful dinner I've made in weeks, had family night (Family Home Evening, aka FHE) together, got invited to our friends' house for ice cream, saw some friends we rarely see, and heard some good news to round out the evening.

But my story of success is most specifically about my grocery shopping experience. An enormous fad among our friends here is what is known as "couponing." I jumped on the bandwagon about two weeks ago. Though I missed out on two little workshops on the subject, I got starter tidbits from two different friends who made it, so I determined to get started. My first shopping experience was not delightful, to say the least. First, I had a one-year-old who screamed every time we were in an aisle alone together and then smiled coyly every time he saw anyone else, two-faced little bugger. This was especially unpleasant because it was not a busy time at the store so I was listening to him scream about 90% of our trip. Second, I didn't have very many coupons. Third, I had to buy meat which is not, as it turns out, a common couponing item.

My second trip was hardly less stressful, though I was able to leave the acoustics at home with his dad. Though I did have more coupons and my bill was not hiked up by meat, my stomach started hurting and I spent what felt like a decade on every possible item determining what was actually covered by my coupon and what would be cheapest due to couponing and sales. (Math and I have a stormy relationship so this is not a fast process for me even with a coupon. Headache, headache, headache.)

Despite these first two painful experiences, I was comforted to attend a workshop with the local couponing queen and be reassured that it does take time but that it is worth it -- after all, she estimates that her famiy of five spends $200-$300 a month on groceries and that includes diapers and personal hygiene items. As that is currently about what we spend for the three of us, I determined to persevere. It helped that I could see her set-up and hear a few more of her tips. I may never master it as she has, but her knowledge is valuable no matter how you apply it.

And, in any case, I've been fully converted today. Why you ask? Because I spent $.30 -- yes, that's right-- $.30 on two jars of Ragu spaghetti sauce. (For those of you who suffer from math dysfunction as I do, that is 15 cents per jar.) That's all I bought today because I will go back to take advantage of Farm Fresh's double couponing deal (a $1.00 coupon goes to $2.00) on Wednesday, but today was the last day I could use the store's coupon, so pairing that with the manufacturer's coupon, and the fact that Farm Fresh doubles up to $.99 the rest of the week, and VOILA! I'm a believer! Apparently, all it takes is one good experience to get addicted. Feel the savings. Taste the savings. Be the savings.
We added this picture just for you, Kathleen.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

i am currently having a coupon induced panic attack. i hate them already.

MommaMcCarthy said...

jealous. i'm always in search of a great deal, and THAT is a GREAT deal.