Sunday, September 27, 2009

Exciting Things Happening In Our Lives

To encourage active participation in our blog and to avoid any accusations of completely boring posts (which I've been told are ones that have no pictures -- Sorry, I'm guilty, Kathleen!), I have decided to make this a multiple choice test. Sorry for those of you still in school who totally dread these things.


1. What is the latest exciting development in our lives:

A.) I'm pregnant
B.) As the epitome of a normal, healthy family, we've been asked to start a settlement on Mars.
C.) Caleb has taken a few steps on his own.

Answer: C.


( When you read just the first two, I know you were like this is easy, obviously it's Mars, who would have two kids while in law school anyway. Then you read C and were like, oh, shoot, which one is it. Well, yes, it's true. Caleb has started walking. No, I'm not pregnant, but I will someday have two kids while in law school. And, well, Patrick's not all that interested in traveling to Africa or Asia, so I'm pretty sure that even if somebody were fooled into thinking we were normal, we would turn down the offer to stay on Planet Earth in the good ol' USA.)


2. My attitude towards books is:

A.) They're lame and I'd rather watch TV.
B.) I'm an addict who has to read boring books so I don't neglect my child.
C.) I think they're useful for some people.

Answer: B


(How is this exciting? Well, I gave up on Williamsburg books which are mostly dissertations, and, hey, I'm not in school; I don't feel the need to drudge through dull writing when there are things that spark my interest and are valuable creatively or intellectually out there for me to read. So I've gone towards biographies for awhile: Abraham Lincoln and George Washington. The library has enough biographies to keep me busy for awhile, but I don't think this phase of interest will last long enough to get me through that. I'm enjoying learning about these important people in our history though. Be my friend on Goodreads to share what you're reading with me and learn about my introduction to important American figures. By the way, John Adams still remains my favorite, but, hey, he had Abigail and they're a hard team to beat.) -- Honestly, I was kind of just making a plug for goodreads because I'm nosy and I like to know what other people are reading. Join it. Be my friend.
.


3. What is the coolest word that Caleb is working on

A.) hippopatomus (I don't even know how to spell that)
B.) supercalifragilisticexpealidocious (you'll be suprised to know that I don't know how to spell that either)
C.) Jesus

Answer: C.


( I know, it was a toughy. You were like, well, he is a genius. But then he's so far more of a people/face critter than he is an animal critter -- shhh, don't tell my mom. I am working on teaching him animal signs, but I don't even know the sign for hippopatomus, so that's not one he's likely to pick up on anytime soon. No, instead of animals and random meaningless long words he tries to say Jesus while also trying to do the sign. He loves pictures, and we have quite a few pictures of Jesus on our walls so it's nice to be able to point to them while I'm carrying him and say, "Jesus" while doing the sign. It's all a mush of sounds and hand wiggling, but he'll get there. He's also starting to sign baby (though what he says is more like "didi") and he signs daddy while saying it very clearly. He also signs milk and tries to sign drink. We ended up with a pretty verbal kiddo which is interesting since I didn't talk until I was a bit old, maybe even like three-years-old.)



4. What do Mom and Dad have to look forward to on the weekends now

A.)
3 Date nights a month while friends watch the kiddo and 1 weekend where we watch our friends' kiddos.
B.) Weekend fligh
ts to BYU to watch the football games.
C.)
Broadway moving to Williamsburg and giving tickets to students of William & Mary for free.

Answer: A.


( I know, shocking. To be honest, I'm not really a big football person. I know, you thought I was. Now the cat's out of the bag. Recently a friend explained the game to me and, not surprisingly, that made the BYU/Oklahoma game much more interesting to me. I would love Broadway of course, especially for free. Specifically, I really, really, really would like to see this show I've heard tell of named Wicked which it seems everyone in the world has seen at least once but me. But, while that is not to be any time soon, I do get to go on other dates that involve an exclusive one-on-one period of time with my favorite person in the world. If you have date ideas, by the way, we would love to hear them.)



Okay, I know you were enthralled by that glimpse into our startlingly exciting lives, but that's all for now. And, well, I have to go feed my kid something before he has a conniption, so there are no pictures. Don't hate, Kathleen. It ain't nice.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

PICTURES? you like boring books?! once my midterm is over i will send a few your way.
and how come we never hang out?

Keegan said...

I don't really love boring books. I just read them instead of fun fiction books so I don't neglect my motherly and house-wifely duties.

Furthermore, I don't know when you're free. You're busy with school and stuff. I probably have a lot more free time than you do, so you have to let me know when you're free. Or we should do dinner one night. Let me talk to Patrick.

Anonymous said...

I love the guessing game! I'm glad you guys are doing good!

MommaMcCarthy said...

Seriously? You wouldn't take the Mars offer?! ;D

Jesus?! Woah... that is sooo advanced. Actually, anything would be advanced for The Frog- I still can't even get him to say Mama or Dada reliably.

PS I'm reading an Elizabeth Gaskell book right now and I think you might like her. I think. She's very Jane Austen-esque. On the other-hand, you may think her a poser. I'd be curious to hear your opinion.